...

.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

secrets of james

Secrets of James Won't Get Out of Bed....


Breugel, Death of the Virgin, 1564.

Martin Bromirski, James Won't Get Out Of Bed, page 2
That chair is the same barely noticeable chair in the foreground of the Breugel painting. The soft blanket on his bed is washi, Japanese paper, that I made myself at a four-day papermaking workshop in Gifu, Japan - we did everything from scratch; pick the mulberry, boil it, grind it.

...
Not sure who the artist is right now, but saw it in a show in Japan, I think. I'll check the postcard info and update later. The open window is used in the image below, Death lurks everywhere.

James Won't Get Out Of Bed, 14
The open window above the sleeping boy is the same as the open window over the sleeping old man (in the previous image). The cat chasing the mouse across the bed was inspired by a creepy Victorian image - I have since lost - of a sleeping girl whose bed is covered with scampering mice. I had a cat that looked like that when I was a boy. Shout out to Mittens!!

See the book on the Breugel chair? The chair in Breugel's painting also has a book on the seat. The book in my picture is The Kuddle Kittens, by S. Sheldon, the unpublished comic of an old Philadelphia friend, Steve Sheldon.

Look how tiny my cut-paper mouse is!

RELATED: my washi teacher was also a Noh master, and gave an impromptu outdoor fireside performance. it was INTENSE!!!

7 comments:

Fiona Ross said...

I just love these collages, Martin. The mouse makes me especially happy!
Did you see the PBS on Sir Isaac Newton's quest for the philosopher's stone last night on PBS?

Anonymous said...

Steve will be so psyched to know about the Kuddle Kittens in the piece! Did he give you a book, or is it one of mine that you saw?

Kuddle Kittens rock on!

Anonymous said...

the etching looks like Durer?

Anonymous said...

maryann - he has a book? i want one, can i get one?

i have only seen the kuddle kittens in the original.

Anonymous said...

No, I mean original books. He made quite a few books of Kuddle Kittens stories as gifts for me. One Xmas he gave me a certificate for a Kuddle Kittens Book of the Month Club, but it kind of petered out, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

that's what i thought, all originals. those books are TREASURES.

remember his Christmas tapes?

Anonymous said...

And then he made a boxed set of the tapes?! Kris Jaeger played them at a bar in NY and made people cry!