...

.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Hylah Wright

Hylah Wright
This sign is in the window of the closed National Theatre, on Broad Street, in front of a rack of paintings. A postcard next to the sign states that the paintings are by an artist named Hylah Wright, who "at 21 came to Richmond to work for the Andersons" and "was with the Anderson family almost 70 years"... "No one was aware of her paintings until recently, when she had to give up her house and move into a nursing home".

The paintings are very textural and lumpy. Some landscapes, some flowers, some abstractions. I've visited twice and some of the paintings I first took (bad) photos of have been replaced by other paintings. There is a contact number, which I called, and the man said that they are replacing paintings as work sells; I think they have a lifetime's worth of work. The prices are $250 and $350.

Contact me if you want his number.

Hylah Wright

Hylah Wright

Hylah Wright

No comments: