...

.

Monday, May 30, 2005

spooky futamigaura


spooky futamigaura, originally uploaded by Bromirski.

This is one of my Futamigaura inspired paintings. Futamigaura is a real place, the name of a beach in Ise, and the home of Meoto-iwa - the "Wedded Rocks" (I think most people just say Futamigaura though). I spent a month in Ise but never saw these rocks, it was only later on a visit to the Ota Museum in Tokyo that I saw Hiroshige's print and became aware of them.

Here are some other artist's versions - Shoda Koho here, Kawase Hasui here and here, somebody else here.

Someone just told me they look like the Pac-Man ghosts.

3 comments:

carol es said...

very nice! i especially like your other work which i found on inliquid.com recently. beautiful pieces there. i also sent in a portfolio to them, but not sure how they feel about posting west coasters there. we shall see.

Anonymous said...

little people want to play

Anonymous said...

weird.