...

.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

good news for VMFA


Martin Johnson Heade, originally uploaded by Bromirski.
"The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts announced last night that it is receiving a gift of $100 million in money and 19th- and 20th-century art from collectors James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin."
Read more here and here.
What is your favorite work currently in the VMFA? Do you think the museum has any pilgrimmage pieces? Something that people travel to Richmond to see?
I like the little Manet and a couple of the no-name Dutch paintings but I don't think they currently have anything that motivates people to make a trip to Richmond. Getting this gift is great.
Thank you to James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is my favorite work at the VMFA? I've been waiting years for someone to ask me this. The small mint green and gray Morandi, closely followed by the slightly less small white and brown Morandi. Profound, convincing, heartfelt, studied, economical, restrained, joyous.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Faberge collection. It may not be what draws your or me to the museum, but I think it does bring in others. Their European decorative arts collection likewise is pretty well known and a major pull for me. I'm also fond of their early Egyptian portrait paintings and the Roman busts.

Martin said...

Yes, don't get me wrong, it's a great museum.

And it's free!